Associate – Investment Management Group
Job No. RGE03
Boston and New York
Top tier law firm experience required: 3-5 Years.
The Investment Management Group of the Corporate Department is seeking a New York or Boston based mid-level associate (3-5 years of experience) to handle matters involving representation of investment companies and investment advisers. Candidates should have substantial experience advising investment companies and investment advisers regarding entity formation and structure; operations; regulatory matters including federal securities law filings; fund mergers and other restructurings; and compliance issues.
The firm’s profound understanding of how existing products work underpins its market leadership in the development of new and sophisticated derivatives products. Part of the firm’s pre-eminent Capital Markets practice, the derivatives group regularly works closely with Linklaters’ pre-eminent global banking, corporate, energy, environment, insurance, intellectual property, investment management, litigation, pensions, real estate, regulatory, and tax practices on the market’s most important deals and legal issues. The group prides itself on its practical advice and ability to execute the most complex deals with the minimum of fuss.
Close contact with regulatory authorities around the world allow the team to advise on the regulatory (including regulatory capital) issues that arise from the structuring and marketing of derivatives products, regardless of the legal form of those products.
Key Responsibilities and Challenges
- Taking initial instructions internally or externally, delegating where appropriate
- Research, due diligence and information management
- Drafting and reviewing documentation, demonstrating familiarity with precedents and market standards
Client Relationship Management
- Taking a lead role in advising the client under appropriate supervision
- Providing commercial and legal advice to the client
- Demonstrating thorough market knowledge to identify current trends and concerns in relevant industry sectors. Able to present ideas to the client to resolve current market issues and anticipate potential problems
- Supervising team and demonstrating control (particularly of documentation) through effective delegation
- Debriefing at the end of a matter or at other appropriate stages
- Co-ordinating, coaching and monitoring the work of others to facilitate achievement of objectives
- Effective organisation of documentation and project plans
- Managing meetings effectively by setting clear objectives and agendas and encouraging other’s participation
- Networking with client to capitalise on new business opportunities
- Contributing to quality know-how and transaction bibles and their upkeep
- Delivering practice specific training to develop junior associates
- Coaching less experienced associates and trainees
- Regularly giving and seeking clear performance feedback to/from others
Skills & Characteristics required
- Exceptional networking skills
- Organisational skills
- Ability to communicate assertively when under pressure
- Ability to influence using appropriate techniques
- Innovative and practical
- Team player
- Commercially minded
How to Apply
Please apply online, attaching your CV and academic transcript to the application form. Should you have any questions, please do contact
A band of PQE as advertised on a role does not intend to preclude applications from those candidates that may have more or less PQE. Our intention is only to indicate a guideline as to how long we would expect a qualified lawyer to have practised so as to have gained the necessary skills for the role as described.
The firm operates as a meritocracy and, therefore, selection for recruitment is on merit, irrespective of race, colour, age, religion, nationality, ethnic or national origin, sex, marital status, sexual orientation or disability. This assumes that the applicants are fit and able to undertake the job.
Selection decisions, and the reasons for those decisions, are recorded in writing at each stage of the selection process.
Selection criteria and, where appropriate, technical skills tests are in place to measure an individual’s ability for the safe and effective performance of a job.
Those involved in recruitment, selection and dealing with the public are provided with training and guidance in administering equal opportunities.